Irma Brandt came to our property to look at a few amanitas that appeared a several weeks ago. She discovered they were Amanita gemmata, Gemmed Amanitas. They are also called Jonquil Amanita. They are quite poisonous, so look but don't eat.
It is perfectly safe to handle this mushroom as you see Irma doing. It takes ingesting it to make one sick. The photo below shows the mature mushroom, and the following photo shows one just peeking up from the duff with the one Irma dug up next to it.
There is great beauty in mushrooms, and the way they evolve as they grow is fascinating.